In order to make the Medicare red flags stand out for you, the following numbers should become part of your adjusting knowledge:
- 0 – the number of days a claimant must wait before filing for Social Security Disability after an injury or disability
- 5 – the waiting period in months before claimant begins receiving Social Security Disability Insurance
- 24 – the number of months on Social Security Disability before a claimant becomes Medicare eligible
- $25K + – the minimum amount of a settlement (including the MSA) required for CMS review of your MSA (called the CMS review threshold)
- 90-120 – the number of days it takes CMS to review an MSA (if they all info they need)
- 100% – the amount of the C&R settlement CMS considers as future medical monies if they are not considered in the settlement
Call or write if you have questions. I will be in your office this week and happy to discuss cases you may be considering for settlement. Have a great week!